The Learning Commons is open every school day from 8:30 am - 3:15 pm. You may come down anytime during the school day, as long as you have permission from your teacher. You will also come in once a week for book exchange during your assigned class time. We are excited to show you the Learning Commons as we have made some changes over the summer. Come visit us and check out some great books to read and enjoy!
Students can check out multiple books from the Learning Commons. All books are checked out for one week. Books may always be renewed if someone else is not waiting for it.
Caring for Books -
- Students in Kindergarten through fifth grade will be given a cloth bag with their name on it. Be sure to bring your book home and back to school in this bag to protect it from rain or snow.
- Keep your book in a special place at home so you can always find it.
- Make sure your hands are clean when handling library books.
- Eat before or after reading your book so you do not get food on your book.
- Turn the pages carefully from the top corner.
- Please use a bookmark instead of folding the corners, we have lots of fun new bookmarks in the LCs.
- Try to return your books on time and in good condition so other students can enjoy them too.
- If something happens to your book, please tell Mrs. Segalla
2023 Nutmeg Books
Below are the list of books for all second through eighth grade students. Remember, you have from now until the end of April to finish reading these exciting books! Over the summer you may check out these books at the Scoville Library. How many of you can finish all 10 before school starts?
2023 Nutmeg Nominees Grades 2-3
2023 Nutmeg Nominees Grades 4-5
2023 Nutmeg Nominees Grades 6-8
Red Book Bags
Children in Kindergarten through fifth grade have tote bags for their library books. These bright red bags were purchased to carry their library book back and forth to school and home. Students are still able to check out books if they have forgotten their library bag. Bags are collected at the end of the school year. They will be returned in the fall when students have their first day of library. A notice will be sent home in early May reminding everyone to return their bags.
SORA Is Here!
What is SORA?
SORA is our new digital library offering both ebooks and audiobooks for our 5th-8th graders, anytime, anywhere! It gives you the power to discover and enjoy ebooks and audiobooks from school for both leisure and class assigned reading. Download the free SORA app today to get started! If you are in the 5th - 8th grade use your Google school account to log in. If you have any trouble with logging in, please let Mrs. Allyn know.
How To Get Started With SORA
1. Open the Sora app on your chromebook or device. If you don't have the app, you can also just open Sora in your browser at www.soraapp.comOpens in a new browser tab.
2. The first time you open the app or site, you will need to find our school district. We are Regional School District 1. After you select that, you will choose Salisbury Central from the dropdown menu, and log in with your school Google credentials. For future logins, the district should save, making this step a little faster.
3) Start browsing! There are two different types of books available to you in Sora:
eBooks - These are books that you read on your device, flipping from page to page on the screen. You will be able to change the font and font size to best fit your needs as a reader, and there are the same highlighting and note taking tools you have probably used in other digital reading you have done.
Audiobooks- These books are recordings of someone (and sometimes groups of people) telling the story aloud. It's like being read to, but there will be no pictures or pages to look at. You just tune in and listen.
4. When you have found something that you want to borrow, click the blue "borrow" button. Please don't do this unless you are sure that you want to read that book because when you borrow a book- just like in our school library- the book isn't there for other people to borrow.
5. Read/listen and enjoy! When you finish the book, just like at school, please return it right away so that other people can read it.